How can I access WordPress files without cPanel (or another CMS?)
- You will need to either use FTP to change files in your WordPress installation, or install a back-end file manager plugin.
- We run WordPress directly on the server. Apart from the WordPress dashboard it doesn't include a server administration platform like cPanel/WHM or Plesk.
WordPress plugins disallowed on JaneVPS
- Unlike other WordPress-specialty hosts that ban their users from installing certain plugins, we're not code snobs about what software you can and can't use on your own website.
- However if we believe there is software on your server that could potentially cause security issues on the network, we'll contact you.
Choose your plugins carefully
We advise WordPress VPS customers to have a very careful read of available information on the WordPress plugins repository before installing any particular plugin on their WordPress site.
Give preference to plugins with a developer who is easy to contact and updates his or her plugin on a regular basis
- Look for a 'Last Updated' dateline within the last 1-3 months;
- Over 5,000+ current uses;
- Up-to-date WP version compatibility;
- Good reviews
Plugins that are top-heavy with genuine bad reviews, including complaints about security flaws we would advise you to proceed with caution.
Always try to use the most up-to-date versions of plugins and themes at all times, and keep WordPress up-to-date. At the end of the day, it's your VPS so as long as you are abiding by Jane's AUP and TOS, you can do what you like.
How do I set up my WordPress VPS?
- Please follow these instructions to set up your WordPress server.
The first step is to point your domain to the server at your domain registrar by creating an A-record.
Important: An SSL browser warning appears during normal set up when you access your WordPress /wp-admin/ backend using HTTPS://
This is normal and disappears when SSL is installed.
Migrating your WordPress site
- Read our WordPress Migration guide
We recommend ServMask, Inc's All-in-one WP Migration plugin which reliably transfers most WordPress sites in a few clicks.
How secure is HostJane VPS?
In short, extremely secure with multiple layers of physical and cyber protection.
Your server is held in a private Tier III datacenter which undergoes:
- Regular audits
- Strict authorized access monitored by CCTV
- Retinal and fingerprint scans
- 24/7/365 on-site security.
The facilities are also protected against flooding and fire, and backups are stored at different locations.
On the virtual level, both the datacenter and HostJane are continuously monitoring for suspicious activity and updating to guard against malicious cyber attacks.
Does WordPress VPS offer staging sites?
We offer a privacy feature where only the IP addresses you approve will have access to your VPS.
Open a support case to add or remove IP addresses from your private whitelist.
Does WordPress VPS use Apache?
No, WordPress VPS uses the latest Ubuntu version with NGINX in its web server layer.
Is IPv6 support included?
Yes, you can choose to set up your WordPress VPS with an IPv6 address at checkout.
A dedicated IPv4 address is included with each plan.
How do I access my database?
We recommend phpMyAdmin to manage your wordpress MySQL databases.
- Install phpMyAdmin with this WordPress VPS tutorial on phpMyAdmin
Do you offer multisite?
No. Each WordPress VPS plan provides for a single, regular WordPress site installation that connects to 1 domain only.